God's Own Country

Enchanting Kerala

God's Own Country

Enchanting Kerala

God's Own Country

Enchanting Kerala

God's Own Country

Enchanting Kerala

God's Own Country

Enchanting Kerala

29 September 2017

2018 will witness the biggest Neelakurinji blooming in Munnar after a period of 12 years


In 2018, Munnar will experience the once in 12 years blooming of the Neelakurinji flower.  Kurinji or Neelakurinji (Strobilanthes kunthianus) is a shrub that is found in the shola forests of the Western Ghats in South India. Nilgiri Hills, which literally means the blue mountains, got their name from the purplish blue flowers of Neelakurinji that blossoms only once in 12 years. 

To get to Kurinjimala: 

https://www.google.ge/maps/place/Kurinjimala+Sanctuary(KERALA)./@10.2287812,77.2588505,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x3b077993e6984e7d:0x3cfc1232013d9482!8m2!3d10.2287812!4d77.2676052?dcr=0

29 November 2016

History of Idukki Dam

Dam

In the heart of the District lies the 'IDUKKI DAM' - Asia's biggest Arch Dam of 555 feet height proudly standing between the two mountains - 'Kuravanmala' (839 meters) and 'Kurathimala' (925 meters ). This prestigeous project of our nation is situated in Idukki District and its underground Power House is located at Moolamattom which is about 19 kms from Thodupuzha. Idukki Dam is 43 kms away from Moolamattom.

History

The possibility of Hydroelecric development at Idukki was first conceived in 1919. As per history Shri Kolumban, the head of 'Oorali' race during 1922 showed the way, to the Malankara Estate Superintendent and his friend Thomas, who were on hunting spree in the forest, the spot of present Arch Dam. He told them of the legend of Kuravan and Kurathi Hills. The mind of Thomas was stirred by the sight of water flow between the mountains and his idea made the dream true of Idukki Arch Dam. Sri. W.J.John of Malankara Estate submitted a report to the Government of Travancore in 1932 on the possiability of constructing a dam at Idukki for Power Generation.
In 1947 Sri.P.Joseph John,then Chief Electrical Engineer to the Government of Travancore made a preliminary investigation report. On the request made by the Government, the Central Water and Power Commission took up detailed investigation in 1956. The project report was prepared in 1961 and the Planning Commission accorded sanction for implementing the scheme in 1963 and the preliminary works of the project were started.
The project was posed for Canadian aid and its scope was enlarged and a revised project report was drawn up in 1956-66. The construction of this Dam commenced on 30 April 1969. Storage of water in idukki reservoir commenced in February,1973. The inauguration of trial run of the first machine was celebrated on 4th October,1975. Commercial operation of the Power Station was Commissioned on 12 February 1976 by the then Hon. Prime Minister Smt. Indira Gandhi.
Construction of this Arch Dam and two other dams at Cheruthony and Kulamavu has created an artificial lake of 60 sq. kms. width and the water stored, is utilised for production of electricity at the unique Moolamattom Power house, which is located inside the rocky caves.
Foreign Aid
The Government of Canada aided the Project with long term loans and grants. M/s S.N.C.Inc., Canada, a well-known firm of Consulting Engineers were advising and assisting Project Engineers under the Canadian Aid.
Project in Brief

The Project harnesses a major portion of the power potential of Periyar, the largest river in Kerala State, by the creation of a reservoir of 2,000 M.cum (2 Billion Tonnes) capacity, diversion of waters thus impounded through a water conductor system consisting of a power tunnel and two underground pressure shafts to an underground power house situated in Muvattupuzha Valley.
The installed capacity of the Power House is 780MW consisting of 6 Units of 180 MW each.The regulated waters of Periyar falls through a drop of about 669.2 metres (2195 feet) while generating power in the underground power house. The tail waters flowing to Kudayathurpuzha through tunnel and open channel will later be diverted for irrigation purposes in the Muvattupuzha Valley.

History of Idukki



 IDUKKI District was formed on 26 January 1972 as per Government notification No 54131/C2/71/RD dated 24th January 1972. The district consists of Devikulam, Udumbanchola and Peermedu taluks of the erstwhile Kottayam district and Thodupuzha taluk (excluding two villages Manjallore and Kalloorkadu) of the erstwhile Ernakulam district. At the time of formation the district headquarters started functioning at Kottayam and from there it was shifted to Painavu in Thodupuzha taluk in June 1976, where it is proposed to build a new planned forest township.
The district's name, 'Idukki' is supposed to be derived from the Malayalam word 'Idukku' which means a narrow gorge. Periyar which is one of the largest rivers of Kerala, flowing through Idukki gorge formed between the two high massive rocks called "Kuravan" and "Kurathi", is the site of the gigantic Idukki arch dam.
            We have very little authentic knowledge which throws light into the ancient history of Idukki district. Eventhough there is no clear evidence whether men of the paleolithic age lived here, there is evidence of stone-age civilisation. Stone-age dolmens were discovered in the valleys of Anchanad in Devikulam taluk. Archaeological excavation conducted during 1947-48 at Kallar Pattom colony in Udumbanchola taluk and at Vandiperiyar in Peermedu taluk brought to light the remains of Old Stone-age Menhir and Tombs.

Karikode near Thodupuzha was the head quarters of Vadakkumkoor Raja. There is remains of a fort at Karikkode. Near this fort there is a Devi temple said to have constructed by the Vadakkumkoor Raja. There is also another temple by name Annamala Temple constructed in Chola style. The church at Muthalakodam, near Thodupuzha is believed to have constructed before 13th Century.
The Ninnar Mosque near Karikkode is said to have constructed by the Vadakkumkoor Raja for his Muslim soldiers. Thodupuzha was also a nerve business centre. There is historical evidence to prove that from ancient time onwards ivory, teak, rosewood, sandalwood, peacock etc., were exported to foreign countries.

Historians believe that Kuzhumoor, the capital of Chera Kings of the Sangam Age, is the Kumily in Peermade taluk. It is assumed that portions of Meenachil taluk and the whole of High Range were included in the Thanthuzhynad under the Kulasekhara Empire (A.D.800-1102). For some time these regions were under the region of the Thekkumkoor Kingdom. It was proved that Vennimala, one of the capitals of the Thekkumkoor Rajas, was in Idukki district. Poonjar Kingdom was established by Manavikrama Kulasekhara Perumal. Manavikraman brought Meenachil taluk and the High Range under his rule from the Thekkumkoor Raja. Thus major portions of Idukki district came under the rule of the Poonjar Raja.

Google